Development and Finance Associate
Who are we?
Neighborhood Development Company (NDC) is an established and unique real estate development firm that focuses on the revitalization of emerging urban neighborhoods. Founded in 1999, NDC has successfully developed 45 projects representing over 1,000,000 square feet of real estate, has another 950,000 square feet in the development pipeline, and is a joint venture partner in other projects representing over $2 billion in investment. The company and its founder, Adrian Washington, have received numerous awards for exceptional projects and industry leadership. NDC has grown in the size and scope of its projects and is charting an aggressive growth plan going forward. NDC’s mission is to develop exciting residential and commercial properties that cultivate vibrant communities. Our vision is to remain a company that builds communities with style and substance to meet the needs of every market. We aspire to have the strength of a big company and the tight-knit agility of a small company.
The Neighborhood Development Company is seeking an Associate with expertise in all stages of the development and finance cycle with an emphasis on predevelopment. The candidate will be responsible for assisting in the management of consultants, General Contractors, and other third-party contractors. Other responsibilities include monitoring budgets, ensuring compliance, and a host of other tasks associated with successful delivery of projects. Associates generally own three critical project assets: schedule (Project), development model (Excel), and process. The successful candidate will be highly organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and capable of effectively responding to changing workloads and priorities. Preferred candidates have experience with and a passion for affordable housing.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Develop and maintain acquisition and development pro forma and budgets for multiple projects
- Understand and optimize all of the key variables of the project pro forma model for internal as well as capital markets use
- Work in multiple financial models and provide input & recommendations to ownership to maximize return on investment
- Assist with management of multiple projects at different phases of development simultaneously to ensure timely completion
- Represent NDC in a variety of forums including Advisory Neighborhood Commissions, industry events and DC/MD/VA organizations such as the Housing Authority and DC Council
- Budget management, forecasting, fiscal documentation and management
- Planning, scheduling and tracking of project timelines and progress
- Assist with vendor selection, vendor management, invoice approvals, loan draws and contract management
- Other duties as needed
- Expert level user of MS Excel with proficiency in the rest of the MS Office Suite; familiarity with cloud services such as Dropbox
- Experience with Microsoft Project and scheduling
- Passion for housing and development
- Demonstrate creativity, courage, leadership and problem-solving skills
- Excellent time and project management skills
- Positive attitude and willingness to take on new challenges and increasing responsibilities
- Ability to read and interpret architectural and engineering construction documents
- Ability to operate in a deadline-driven environment
- Exceptional “follow up” abilities
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S. in Real Estate Finance, Real Estate Development, and/or Urban Planning) from four-year College or university preferred.
- At least 2 years of experience in real estate finance or development
Please send all resumes to: email@example.com